Tuesday, March 3, 2009

If I can't be on the beach...I can make a Beach Cake.

It's a sunny but very cold day in Toronto.... it's -14 degrees Celsius.  So, I thought it would warm me up by posting up a beach-themed cake.

This cake was for a bridal shower where the lucky couple is going away to get married in Mexico. Lucky couple!

All the seashells, rocks and frangipani flowers were handmade out of sugarpaste, then dusted with pearl dust. They were so fun to make! I can't decide whether my favourite is the starfish or the sand dollars.






11 comments:

leesh said...

I love it! One day, I will have to get you to make a cake for me with the ocean, beach, loungers with towels on it, palm trees, flip flops and suntan lotion. It would totally represent me and my husband.

Freck said...

Beautiful!! The shells look so real : ) Can't wait to see what you make next!

Baker's Cakes said...

Absolutely gorgeous! It's elegant and whimsical at the same time! Beautiful!

SweetThingsTO said...

Freck, Baker's Cakes - Thank you!

Leesha - Yes, I'd love to make that cake - I'm tempted to make it now! :-)

Anonymous said...

That's gorgeous! What is the sand made out of?

SweetThingsTO said...

Hi Chrissy - I couldn't decide whether to use graham cracker crumbs or brown sugar. So I thought I'd try something new and used the brown sugar.

Anonymous said...

Have you tried brownulated sugar? It works perfectly as sand!

SweetThingsTO said...

TerraD - I had to google brownulated sugar - didn't know what it was. I will definitely give it a try! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

You've gone and done it again Juanita. Totally awesome cake.

Coco Cake Land said...

brilliant! so cool!

Anonymous said...

I had a piece of this cake at the bridal shower.. looked beautiful.. and was delicious!! Great work!