Friday, March 27, 2009

Heffalump Cake

This is a cake I made last weekend for my 1-year old nephew. He loves his Heffalump stuffed animal so I thought this cake would be perfect.


I thought he would immediately grab for the trunk of the cake but he went right for the chocolate cupcake!  He had chocolate icing all over his hands and face.

Although, I have to admit, I'm a bit scarred because it was his first taste of chocolate and he immeidately broke out in a big rash.  The poor guy is allergic. He was fine after about 20 minutes - but I was quite alarmed at his experience with his first cake.

I only have the one picture because I'm in the middle of renovations and didn't have a good shot. I was planning to take more pictures at the party but it was so busy. Well this kid is going to have the best birthday cakes - so I will definitely capture all future events better.

Update on August 2nd: I found another picture of the Heffalump cake. This was taken when I was getting ready to set up the cake. You may notice the cupcake looks a bit different as it actually fell over, so I had to smooth out the icing and put it back on top. I'm still amazed the trunk defied gravity, even though the cupcake did not.

13 comments:

Baker's Cakes said...

Wow! It's adorable! I can't imagine how you got it to work structurally, but it looks amazing!!!

Anonymous said...

omg - this is awesome! I bet it was yummy too - What kind of cake was it?

rosemary white said...

Such a beautiful, adorable heffalump. You are so creative Juanita. I can't wait to see my birthday cake tonight!
Rosemary

Anonymous said...

That is the cutest cake ever! I love it!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous! I love the cupcake on his nose - great idea.

veggievixen said...

haha i love it! how cute.

Milena said...

So adorable! Love the idea and the realization! Wonderful job!

SweetThingsTO said...

Thank you ladies!

btw - the cake was 6 layers of alternating chocolate and vanilla butter cake with swiss meringue buttercream. The cupcake was chocolate fudge with chocolate buttercream.

Frostedbetty said...

Honestly I wouldnt think too much on the allergy thing. At Aiden's(my son) first birthday he broke out in a rash as well we had to rinse him off in the shower but to try to eliminate it we tried the food coloring in the icing and in the cake. He never had a reaction to any of it. So we were told that maybe his skin didnt like the sticky icing all over his face? Hes had everything since then with no reaction but I freaked out when he was covered in rash and got a beet red face and eyes. So hopefully it ends up being nothing for him too.

Thats a great cake!!

Coco Cake Land said...

ahhhh!!! cute and such a great idea!

saleema said...

This is the most adorable cake!! And it sounds delicious.

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!!! that is incredible!!!! very cool

Hanni said...

This is absolutely the cutest cake I've ever seen! Amazing :)