It was Toronto's 175th birthday on Friday, March 6th and the website Torontoist had a cupcake contest. For this contest, you have to design a cupcake that says "Toronto" - I had a lot of fun with this one!
Well I decided that one cupcake was not enough - so I made 1 dozen rainbow cupcakes.
Ta da - here is my cupcake design with all items handmade out of sugarpaste! And the description that I submitted with my entry: Toronto cannot be expressed in just one cupcake - it is such a colorful multi-cultural city, lots to see, do and eat, accessible, fun and interesting. Here is a counter clockwise tour of my rainbow cupcakes starting from the top left:
- The Airport - an international airport where everyplace is accessible
- High Park - a huge park right in the middle of the city
- Music and Drinks all across town
- Rogers Centre and the CN Tower
- Cabs everywhere - you never have to call them!
- The TTC Streetcar - easy to get around
- The Beaches in the East End - volleyball and blue flag beaches
- The 401 Highway takes you to Kingston, Ottawa, Montreal and many more!
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
- City Hall
- Chinatown - always good dim sum!
- Bicycles everywhere in the city
Well, I sure hope I win this contest! I think they will be announcing the winner sometime this week. Even if I don't win, I sure had a blast with these cupcakes! Happy Birthday Toronto!
March 12th Update: Thanks everyone for your wonderful compliments. I'm so excited - I won the contest! They did a wonderful summary of all the winners - check it out here