Monday, March 9, 2009

Happy 175th Birthday Toronto Cupcakes!

It was Toronto's 175th birthday on Friday, March 6th and the website Torontoist had a cupcake contest. For this contest, you have to design a cupcake that says "Toronto" - I had a lot of fun with this one!

Well I decided that one cupcake was not enough - so I made 1 dozen rainbow cupcakes.

Ta da - here is my cupcake design with all items handmade out of sugarpaste!   And the description that I submitted with my entry:  Toronto cannot be expressed in just one cupcake - it is such a colorful multi-cultural city, lots to see, do and eat, accessible, fun and interesting. Here is a counter clockwise tour of my rainbow cupcakes starting from the top left:
- The Airport - an international airport where everyplace is accessible
- High Park - a huge park right in the middle of the city
- Music and Drinks all across town
- Rogers Centre and the CN Tower
- Cabs everywhere - you never have to call them!
- The TTC Streetcar - easy to get around
- The Beaches in the East End - volleyball and blue flag beaches
- The 401 Highway takes you to Kingston, Ottawa, Montreal and many more!
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
- City Hall
- Chinatown - always good dim sum!
- Bicycles everywhere in the city
Well, I sure hope I win this contest! I think they will be announcing the winner sometime this week. Even if I don't win, I sure had a blast with these cupcakes!  Happy Birthday Toronto!



March 12th Update: Thanks everyone for your wonderful compliments. I'm so excited - I won the contest! They did a wonderful summary of all the winners - check it out here

18 comments:

Mere Rhetoric said...

I love these, especially the Beach one! Very creative.
Just wondering what the flavours are?

Anonymous said...

Wow - that is so creative!

Nada said...

so cute!! And of course, creative!

If you don't win, I've got to see who does....cause I cant imagine any cupcake(s) that says Toronto better than that!

SweetThingsTO said...

Thank you ladies!

Mere Rhetoric - well, as for flavours.... I sorta cheated, they are all vanilla cupcakes, but I just used food colouring to spruce it up :-)

leesh said...

The cupcakes look terrific. Too cute looking to eat...

If you don't win, then they definitely picked the wrong winner. Good luck!

Baker's Cakes said...

Adorable! What a creative idea!!! They'd have my vote!!!

Anonymous said...

I love that cupcake with the mini dim sum - very cute - have no idea how you made that so small.

SweetThingsTO said...

Thank you ladies! They still haven't announced the winner yet....

btw - I think my favorite is actually the Recycling, Garbage and Compost bins!

Anonymous said...

These are really great, you did a fantastic job!

Just Cook It said...

fantastic cakes

Kaori said...

Congratulations! Love the dim sum one.

Anonymous said...

You won! I just saw an update on Twitter! Congrats..they are AMAZING! Who got to eat them?!

Nada said...

Congrats Juanita!!! Just heard the news :)

SweetThingsTO said...

Thank you everyone!

dara dot designs - well no one got to eat them. They are still sitting on my kitchen table. I don't have the heart to throw them out yet. :-)

Janine Falcon . BEAUTYGEEKS said...

AMAZING, congratulations! I love that you clearly adore what you do. Brilliant.

Gail at Large said...

I wrote a post about the contest on my blog, and I had a question there that I should really just ask you here: how long did it take to decorate the cupcakes?

http://gailatlarge.com/blog/2009/03/16/6501

Coco Cake Land said...

you won?!! YAY! i just found your blog and your stuff is so cute. go canada!

Jilliann said...

Absolutely stunning cupcakes-- I'm a cupcaker myself and I'm amazed by your creations!

A++!!