Tuesday, April 14, 2009

First Birthday or was it?



This past weekend, I made this wonderfully cute birthday cake for a little boy. The mother sent me a photo of her son so I could make a sugarpaste model of him for the top. This cake was chocolate velvet on the bottom tier and vanilla butter cake on the top tier. I was so happy with this cake, loved how the little boy turned out, the colours, the train and the clothesline. I can't take credit for the clothesline design - the client had found this on another website, I just added in my own flair with the rest of the cake.

I delivered the cake proudly. She opened the door holding her young son and when she saw the cake, she said "Wow.... but he is not 1. He is only 4 months" Ooops, I guess for some reason, I thought it was his first birthday, it was actually his first party. And somehow I didn't clue in with the photo that she sent - I felt terrible. Well, she was so very sweet and let me remove the 1 on the top and add in an extra toy that I made. I'm lucky she was so good about it.

And the next day, she sent me a lovely note that the cake was a hit and she looked forward to me making her sons 1st birthday cake. :-)

8 comments:

Alison said...

who has a first party for their baby that's not a baptism or something along that line? Strange.

Regardless, great cake!

Half Baked said...

Great job! It looks like you put in quite a few hours on that cake. It looks perfect!

Jenny said...

That is very nice! Love the train!

Teresa L said...

omg - is that a striped shirt I see in the side view pic. too cute

Nada said...

Great work!!
And that is too funny :) Guess it's proof you don't always need a special occasion to have a great cake :D

Coco Cake Land said...

the cake is bonkers-cute! that's totally a nightmare of mine, like mis-spelling a birthday person's name... but luckily it all worked out, because your cake was so supercute!

veggievixen said...

cute cake baby!

Anitha said...

First time on your blog. Very cute cake.

Anitha