Tuesday, February 2, 2010

1st Birthday Cakes

I know that I've said this in the past, but I love making 1st birthday cakes.  Maybe it is how the parents glow as they write or tell me about their child or what makes their child laugh.  They really want to share and celebrate such a wonderful year passing by with their family and friends.

The theme for this birthday cake was lambs, giraffes, bears and lady bugs.  I also matched the invitation which was red and pale yellow.
The birthday girl's name copies how the invitation text looked --  I love how it turned out.  The cake fed 48 people.  Top tier was Strawberry Vanilla with strawberry buttercream.  The bottom tier was Banana Sour Cream cake with chocolate buttercream.
This next cake was based off of a Korean cartoon called Pororo.  All decorations are handmade out of sugarpaste.
This cake fed 24 people.  Top tier was strawberry vanilla cake.  The bottom tier was chocolate sour cream cake.

18 comments:

faithy said...

Love all your cakes! Stunning! Your characters are amazingly perfect! Just like the cartoon characters! :) I like how you did the blocks with the alphabet into name..so pretty!

SL said...

Amazing!! The cutest cake I've ever seen for a first birthday - great job! :)

Jenniffer said...

OMG! As always, your figures are impeccable, but how did you make those blocks? They are SO cute!! Were the letters a mold or something? Your work always amazes me!

Brandy L said...

I always look forward to your Tuesday posts. :D You've made two gorgesous cakes! I love the styles and how personable they are! I just want to know did you create the characters for the first cake around polls to hold the top tier up?

SweetThingsTO said...

Thank you ladies!

Jenniffer - The blocks were just square cut outs of fondants. Then I have an alphabet letter press/cutout and then used my sugar gun to line the outside of the square with the same fondant.

Brandy L - These are just regular cake columns. I've used the ones that attach to a seperator plate but I like the hidden column. So, I make the animals, hope I get the height correctly and then dry them upside down.

Hope that makes sense - if not, email me directly. Juanita

Jennifer said...

PRECIOUS cakes!!! Really so amazing!!

Jacqueline Butler said...

Hi Juanita! I so love both of these cakes! Your figurines are just so adorable - such cuties! Great details, and such great colors too!

Baker's Cakes said...

Absolutely adorable!!!

Raychel said...

WOW those are beautiful! I love it

Raychel

Sugar Siren said...

Great characters again!

Deeva said...

Very cute. I love the letters and all your little figures are flawless.

Mar Varela said...

The first cake is my prefer... I love it....
A kiss from Spain

Petite Parfait said...

Oh you are so talented!

Coco Cake Land said...

yow!! awesome mega cuteness juanita!! there is something totally special about the 1st bday, i have to agree... and with your cakes those parties are even more crazy-special...

:)

cookeaze said...

I was really hoping for a nice cake for past few days. This is perfect! Thanks for knowing.

Unknown said...

Absolutely gorgeous work............I just love how these cakes look!
Adorable characters, you are so clever!

Cake Fiction Pastry Chef - Paula Tosonotti said...

Love the animals and the way they support the second tier. Super sheep!

Hanna - Bakfnatt said...

What a funny and cute cake! It makes me happy =)